Warminster Town 4 Keynsham Town 3

Wednesday, May 2nd, 2018

The final game of the season and Warminster get their first win this year!

Third-placed Keynsham started the game clear favourites and created many chances early in the game. Warminster's keeper, Nathan Black making some super saves. The first few minutes of the game certainly gave the impression that Keynsham were aiming to repeat their 7 - 2 victory over the Red & Blacks earlier in the season.

The first chance on goal for Warminster was from a shot from Charlie Walton who fired just wide of the post in the 9th minute. Keynsham continued to shoot on sight and hit the bar, just over the top or saved by Ball.

In the 20th minute, Warminster had a corner which was taken short, nicely worked and then passed to George Butler who from the edge of the penalty area hit a right footed shot into the back of Keynsham's net.

Keynsham immediately got back to their aim to win this game and within minutes had hit the post and forced Ball to make another good save. However, Warminster stayed calm and kept looking for opportunities to get forward and in the 39th minute, Reece Collyer doubled the score for Warminster, working his way down from the left and into the central area on the edge of the penalty area to trap the ball and volley home. An excellent goal!

Keynsham tried a long-range shot just before the whistle blew which Ball had to save. A fantastic first half from the keeper!

The second half got underway and Keynsham Town started with the same desire to score, forcing Nathan Ball once again into action. Not to be outdone by Keynsham's attacks, in the 55th minute, George Butler found himself in space in the middle of the pitch and beating the visitor's defenders to the ball took his second goal really well. No one expected this, least of all Keynsham and it's now 3 - 0 to the home side, with 35 minutes of normal time remaining.

With 25 minutes to go Matt Brown for Keynsham Town scores his 30th goal of the season pulling one back. We have seen second-half disasters all too often this season at Warminster, so, what would happen now? 6 minutes later substitute Kyle Box scored the K's second goal with a fine finish.

Keynsham continued to pile on the pressure and kept getting lots of bodies into the Warminster penalty area. Eventually, in the 69th minute, this pressure told and Matt Brown scored his 31st of the season and his second goal in this game. It's now all level at 3 -3. Warminster continued to fight and defend for their lives as the pressure mounted.

With determination to end the season of relegation with some dignity, it has to be said that Warminster did not capitulate. Beau Blakeman, as always making himself busy beat the defenders and fired the ball home, the fourth goal.

Late on in the game, it was almost a fifth goal when the ball hit the left-hand post and rolled across the face of the goal in added time. This certainly was a game to be enjoyed by all in attendance and not least of all the Warminster Town players who all put in great effort to beat a class side in this league.

Man of the match for me has to be Nathan Ball for his outstanding efforts to prevent Keynsham scoring a lot more goals than they did.