Match Report: Warminster Town v Roman Glass SG

Today was never going to be an easy game for Warminster Town as they faced the top of the league Roman Glass St George. At least the pitch had recovered from the heavy rain that had prevented the Easter Monday game taking place.

For the first 30 minutes of this game, Warminster held their own and withstood a couple of attacks from the visitors that could have resulted in goals from 'The Glass', Bristol's oldest football club. Warminster had an opportunity on 24 minutes when left-back Stewart Lisowski from a freekick tried to beat Roman Glass' keeper, Josh Dempsey, from just inside their half. Dempsey realised what was happening and managed to get in position to catch the ball.

The first goal came for Roman Glass on 30 minutes when Jake Cox cut across the penalty area and scored a fine right-footed goal. A few minutes later Jason Burt, captain for The Glass put in a challenge on Warminster's captain, Charlie Walton and earned himself a no-quibble yellow card.

In the 43rd minute a shot from the ever-dangerous striker for Roman Glass, Ryan Radford, saw a shot deflected off The Town's Henry McFerran and into the left-hand corner of the net leaving keeper, Nathan Ball no chance of saving it. Two-nil to Roman Glass and that's how it finished at half-time.

The second-half started with Warminster applying some pressure and this resulted in a 50th-minute shot on goal by Eben Mortimer-Taylor which hit the crossbar and then cleared by the visitors. Moments later, Warminster's captain, Charlie Walton, hit a powerful shot but missed the target.

It was a very active few minutes and soon after Charlie's shot, Roman Glass attacked and with some good footwork from Radford he scored his second goal and the third for visitors. 10 minutes later Stewart Lisowski put in a magnificent block to stop a shot from The Glass's Jordan Yeo.

Sam Wentland on 68 minutes received the visitors second yellow card after using a few choice words towards the referee. Moments later, Ryan Radford made it a hat-trick taking Roman Glass to a 4 - 0 lead.

However, Warminster did not lie down and continued to fight and started to put more pressure on their opponents' defence. In the 80th minute, Charlie Walton made a great run across the penalty area and fired the ball into the back of the net.

With just a couple of normal time remaining, Warminster Town was again on the attack and Charlie Walton passed the ball out to the left wing to substitute, James Chenery Bowden who took the ball towards the edge of the penalty area, remained composed and fired home his first goal for Warminster.

Minutes later the final whistle blew, Warminster Town 2 Roman Glass St George 4 and watched by a crowd of 100.

The next home game is on Thursday, April 12th against Oldland Common and kick-off is 7:45pm

Keep up to date and bookmark this blog in your web browser and also follow Warminster Town Supporter on Twitter

Your comments on the game are welcome, please use the discussion box below.