Bridport FC 5 Warminster Town FC 0

The day started with high hopes as the many travelling supporters of Warminster Town made the journey to Bridport for the second qualifying round of the FA Vase. Following the 7 - 1 league victory over Bristol Telephones the previous Saturday it was with confidence that more goals could be scored at Bridport. However, all of the goals came from Bridport who went on to win 5 - 0.

The game got underway in the lovely warm sunshine on a good but dry and dusty pitch. It was obvious to all that the home side were in a higher league for a reason but were finding it difficult to break Warminster down. The visitors created several chances in the first half-hour. The first with a shot on 10 minutes from Reece Collyer saved by the keeper Jason Hutchins and the rebound fired wide by Harry Barnes and that really should have been an opening goal for Warminster.

Bridport’s number seven, fast-paced Leighton Thomas caused problems for the Warminster defence and he had a free role over the pitch making defending against him difficult and early shots were a warning signal. Just over the half-hour Nathan Ball in the Warminster goal pulled off a good save maintaining the status quo at nil-nil. A few moments later Warminster had another good opportunity as Jack Miluk ran through on goal but was tackled by James Regan to save the day and the ball went out for a corner.

The tide turned when Warminster conceded a penalty in the thirty-third minute. The penalty was saved by Ball but the ball found its way to the red shirt of Oscar Latas and the home team got their first goal. Two minutes later Leighton Thomas scored the second and on 39 minutes Latas fired a shot, punched away by Ball only to find Thomas who fired home his second goal making it now 3 goals in less than 10 minutes for Bridport. The first-half over and it’s 3 - 0 to the home side.

The second half kicked off with Bridport in the ascendancy and after 56 minutes another penalty for them was converted by Sam Clarke, a new signing for ’The Bees’ who had been brought down in the box. Two minutes later, Clarke once again scored from close range which would become the final score 5 - 0. There were more opportunities in the remainder of the half for both teams and for Warminster, substitute, Jake Wright went close but slipped and fell with the goal gaping ahead of him.

After the game, Warminster’s manager, Andy Crabtree said, “Whilst disappointed with the result from today’s game, I’m not overly unhappy with the way we approached the game. We started well and created a lot of chances in the first 35 minutes and should really have got our noses in front, apart from a 10-minute spell, where we didn’t do the basics. That along with some other bizarre incidents proved our undoing. The second half was always going to be difficult but we stuck at it. At the end of the day, we were well beaten by a very good experienced side. For us, it’s a learning curve and we have to look at the bigger picture. We have a very young side, who are learning all the time. Yes, there will be hiccups like yesterday, nobody likes losing, but we dust ourselves down and prepare for Bishop Sutton away next Saturday."

Team: Ball, Butler, Collyer, Heard, Lisowski, McFerran, Miluk, Mortimer-Taylor, Walton, Wright S, Barnes Subs: Wright J, Chenery-Bowden, Gardner, Wright J, Crabtree