Bishop Sutton Win on Penalties!

It was a very wet and windy Saturday afternoon as Warminster Town played Bishop Sutton at Lakeview. The match was delayed by a few minutes as the touchlines had to be repainted, which by the end of the game had almost disappeared again. It’s unclear how the officials could make decisions especially around the penalty area where it pretty much was a game of 'guess where the lines should be!'

The home side proved victorious, winning the match 3 - 2. It has to be said though, that in the opening 10 minutes or so Warminster could have been well ahead and likely demoralised the home team.

In the opening 4 minutes, Jack Miluk and George Butler could have put the visitors ahead with 2 really good opportunities to score. However, a couple of minutes later a saved shot from Jake Wright presented itself to the advancing Butler who took his chance well and scored the opening goal for Warminster.

More opportunities followed for Warminster but as time went by Bishop Sutton were allowed back into the game. A penalty was awarded to the home side and slotted safely into the net by Reece John in the 27th minute. Just 2 minutes later Bishop Sutton's number 10, Mason Dagger fired home their second goal. The first half finished 2 - 1 to Bishop Sutton.

The second half commenced with Warminster fired up, no doubt after a good managerial halftime talk from Andy Crabtree. George Butler scored his second in just the third minute of this half following up on a saved shot from the Bishop Sutton keeper.

Unfortunately, just as in the first half another penalty was awarded to Bishop Sutton, with a somewhat controversial decision. This was in the 24th minute and once again Reece John stepped up to take and score his second and the home team's third goal and what was really a repeat of the first half.

On 29 minutes a free kick taken by Charlie Walton on the edge of the almost invisible box was saved by the keeper, Will Justin diving low to his left near the upright.

As the rain continued to sweep in Warminster didn't give up and tried to equalise but it was not to be.

The young Warminster side is on a steep learning curve and each match win or lose will help them gain the experience to improve and not make mistakes that cost them this game. All the players work hard but two players stood out, Joel Sissons and Eben Mortimer-Taylor did well as right back and left winger respectively. Sadly, Harry Barnes had to be substituted in the second half due to an injury to his knee and had to be carried off the field.

The next game is on Saturday, September 29th and is another away match, this time a trip to Wincanton Town.

Team: Crabtree, Sissons, Barnes, Lisowski, Wright S, Herd, Miluk, Walton, Wright J, Butler, Mortimer-Taylor Subs: Collyer, McFerran, Graham.