Back to Winning Ways at Bishops Lydeard

Warminster started the day one point behind Bishops Lydeard and had not won one of their last 7 games (including 2 cup matches). In fact, the previous game saw them dumped out of the Wiltshire Senior Cup by lower league opposition, Shrewton United who won 0 - 3 at Weymouth Street.

On a glorious sunny afternoon and in the idyllic rural setting of Bishops Lydeard’s ground the game got underway. A game which proved victorious for Warminster Town with a 1 - 2 win. This is how the game unfolded.

Both sides made a bright start and intent on taking control of the game. Throughout the first half Warminster probably on balance just edged the home side. Thanks to Warminster’s Nathan Ball the visitors kept the score to nil-nil with a fine save in the 18th minute, tipping the ball over the bar. Both sides created opportunities and made for an entertaining first half. With a few minutes of the half remaining, Warminster put the ball in the back of the net only for it to be ruled offside.

The teams went in at halftime 0 - 0.

The second half kicked off and in the second minute, with a good run down the left touchline, Jack Miluk fired a shot at goal, the keeper saving near his left post. The ball went to the keepers left and Warminster’s number 2, Joel Sissons chased it down and fired it low to the keepers left post who by now had run between the sticks and somehow managed to sit on the ball to prevent the goal. A couple of minutes later the visitors put Bishops Lydeard under pressure and captain Charlie Walton came close with a curling shot which was just over the left-hand side of the goal.

In the 50th minute a run down the right by Bishops Lydeard’s number 4 Mark Clunie, proved too much for Warminster. A good low shot which flew past Nathan Ball’s stretched out hand into the far left side of the goal. Warminster continued to battle and press the home side. A corner on the right in the 34th minute went beyond the far post and was headed back across goal, then headed back again towards the left side and a stooping Jake Wright headed the ball home to draw the score level.

In the 43rd minute, a good run from Eben Mortimer-Taylor down the left saw him cut into the box and drive the ball home with the keeper unable to save, making it 1 - 2 to the Town. The game though as it turned out was far from over. On 45 minutes a free kick for The Bishops on the right was comfortably saved by Nathan Ball. On 90 +3 minutes, a cross from Bishops Lydeard's right found the head of the substitute the tall Ben Cottrell who’s on-target header was wonderfully saved by Nathan Ball diving high to his left.

For some reason, the referee added 10 minutes of additional time which made for a nervous ending but thankfully the game ended at Bishops Lydeard 1 Warminster Town 2.

Manager, Andy Crabtree had this to say after the match: "Really pleased with our performance and it was a well-deserved victory. We showed a lot of character to come back from 1-0 down bearing in mind we had what looked like a perfectly good goal disallowed at 0-0. Everybody is aware that as a club we are very much work in progress with a very young side and I’m pleased for the players and our wonderful supporters that we are improving and learning all the time in what is a very tough league."

Team: Ball, Sissons, Barnes, Graham, McFerran, Herd, Wright S, Walton, Miluk, Butler, Mortimer-Taylor Subs: Wright J, Lisowski, Collyer (all 3 subs used)

Photos courtesy of Scott Drysdale