A Hard Fought Victory for Warminster Town

Following several days of rain, it was thanks to the hard work of volunteers that play was possible at Weymouth Street. The visitors started the day 6 points ahead, so a win today for either side was important for their league standing.

The game was a hard fought contest, and Warminster Town came out on top as 1 - 0 winners. Here is how the game unfolded.

From early in the first-half Warminster put the visitors under considerable pressure and began to create chances. An early shot in the 6th minute from the right by Warminster's captain, Charlie Walton flashed just wide of Longwell's left-hand post. Ten minutes later a header by Warminster's number 4, Jordan De Silva who was in the box for a corner, had to be cleared off the line by a defender.

The home side continued to have a series of corners and came close several times to scoring. In the 23rd minute a terrific strike by Warminster's number 11, George Butler hit the left post and the rebound was then fired home by Jack Miluk who was later deemed to be offside, so the score remained 0 - 0.

The home side continued to put the visitors under pressure who still managed to get out of their half and attack but the Warminster back 4 of Baggs, Brown, De Silva and Barnes stood firmly putting in a tremendous defensive display. They continued to do so in both halves of the game. Charlie Walton went close again in the 40th minute with a header from a corner kick which just went wide of the post.

The half-time whistle blew without a goal in what had been an excellent display of football to keep the supporters happy. The second-half got underway with Longwell Green Sports trying to change the pressure from themselves and onto Warminster. However, it wasn't long before Warminster started piling on the pressure once again upon the visitor's defence. Throughout the game both Warminster's fullbacks, Baggs and Barnes were getting forward and putting crosses into the box forcing Longwell to defend and clear their lines.

The only goal of the game came when Connor McKay was brought down in the box after making a good run from midfield. Martin Johnson stepped up to take the penalty sending the keeper to his right and slotting the ball home in the space low in the opposite side of the net.

Both sides were attacking, and Warminster continued to really shine in defence and prevented much in the way of goal scoring opportunities for the visitors. There was some last minute pressure from Longwell Green Sports but with a final clearance punch from keeper Nathan Ball from a corner kick the whistle blew for full time.

Without a doubt this was an excellent performance from Warminster Town against a good side. The 112 in attendance which was the second highest in the division enjoyed an entertaining game of football. After the match, assistant manager Robert McFerran said, "Great result! Our best team performance of the season over 90 minutes."

Team: Ball, Baggs, Barnes, De Silva, Brown, Mortimer-Taylor, Miluk, Walton, Johnson, McKay, Butler
Subs: Herd*, Wright J*, Sissons*, Wright S (* subs used)