A Great Comeback

No longer do Warminster Town play Westbury United as their regular Boxing Day local derby. United are now in the Premier Division of the Toolstation Western League, and so Warminster were pleased to welcome Wells City as their opponents. The game was enjoyed in front of the highest crowd of the season so far, 174. The final score was Warminster Town FC 4 Wells City FC 2 with most of the excitement in the second half.

On a wet and sticky pitch, the game started off scrappily with Wells City creating more pressure on the home side's defence than any pressure on them. There was a flurry of throw-ins in the Warminster half as the defenders battled to prevent the visitors from scoring.

Watch the first half in full below


The visiting team were soon to score 2 goals in the opening minutes of the second half. On 53 minutes and on his debut for Wells, Dale Hunt produced a scorcher of a goal! Just 5 minutes later and Wells get their second with a goal from James Bisgrove.

The 2 goals suddenly woke Warminster up and from the restart became a different team. In the 62nd minute, Harry Barnes from the left crossed into the box for Jack Miluk to fire home from around 6 yards out. 2 minutes later though Wells went close to scoring another goal with a shot just over the bar.

In the 66th minute, a Warminster corner was headed clear by the City defence to be picked up by Charlie Walton whose attempted shot was blocked and found its way to Connor McKay on the left-hand side of the penalty area and he shot low into the right-hand corner of the Wells goal to level up the score.
Just in the 76th minute, Warminster pounced again with a great run down the left from George Butler who cut into the centre of the pitch and shot low from the edge of the 'D' with the diving keeper, Tom Creed unable to save.

Warminster were not resting on their lead and continued to press. In the 86th minute, Martin Johnson made a good run with the ball from just inside the visitors half. He made his way down the left and crossed into the box where Mckay and Miluk had made their way. It was Miluk who got to the ball and shot high into the left-hand side of the goal to get his second of the game.

After a slow start to the game, and a very disappointing opening few minutes of the second-half Warminster stood tall and were the well-deserved victors producing a really entertaining game of football.

Team: Ball, Baggs, Barnes, De Silva, Brown, Mortimer-Taylor, Miluk, Walton, Johnson, McKay, Butler
Subs: Herd*, Chenery-Bowden, Graham*, Collyer* (*used)

Watch the second half action in full below and see all 6 goals!

Photos Courtesy of David Feast